Thursday, March 1, 2012

veg 101: sorry in advance.

Are you ready for my mini-novel? Don't worry, I'm not about to go all PETA on you.
via
We don't even need to talk about these little guys. They're purely there for decoration. I will, however, give you a very brief history of my quick and painful journey from carnivore to herbivore, whether you wanted to know or not. Rewind to November in Nashville during a weekend trip with a friend - the setting was a local BBQ joint, the meal was smoked chicken, and for reasons that I'll leave out for fear of grossing y'all (that's what they say in Nashville) out, let us just say that I did not enjoy the look or the feel of my dinner. I had to stop eating before I passed out (which I've done many a time before, so no one's to say that I won't do it again), and ever since that night I have been meat-free, except for the very sporadic fish.. which has been pared down even further since a post-Bahamas ciguatera diagnosis in the family. I'll just apologize again right now because this is reading like a Debbie Downer skit. Bottom line, the idea of eating an animal is not really an option for me since my brain has completely rejected the idea, so it's been my mission to find other things to eat aside from celery with peanut butter, and also to remain healthy and proteinized. I'm not trying to change any opinions about eating meat, just documenting my own voyage into the land of herbivores.

Correction: I would be an ABYSMAL hunter.

STEP ONE - GO COLD TURKEY (GET IT?!) OR EASE ON OUT
Decide which way is best for you. Stop full-stop or set some kind of a schedule to phase meat out of your diet.

STEP TWO - PREPARE YOURSELF
Unless you're tofu's biggest fan (which I consider to be an impossibility), you'll miss out on some key nutrients from this point forward. A good list to go by is here, and below is my own personal arsenal of horse pills. About three months into this lifestyle change my reserves of D and B12 had been emptied and I was practically falling asleep at work. Whoops.. take your supplements, yo! And then the Biotin was something I added in after hearing a horror story about someone who went veg and lost their hair. No gracias.

STEP THREE - MEAL PLAN
Time to get creative, or at least it's time to start relying on the creativity of others. In the last few months I've found a few fab resources, and between a magazine, a couple of veg-heavy websites (here and here), and a bible of a cookbook, I feel like I'm covered for the time being. Also, it's not difficult to find a frozen vegetarian meal in a pinch, my personal favorite being Amy's.

STEP FOUR - ENJOY IT
Benefits include better heart health, lower blood pressure, cancer prevention, and you're even less likely to get osteoporosis. Aside from all that mumbo jumbo, I've heard that meat-eaters consume an average of one hundred animals per year, so it's a nice little bonus to know that you're no longer a part of it. But if none of that works for you, at least you'll be able to compare yourself to some well-known faces, like Gandhi, or.. Pam Anderson? Sorry.
via


2 comments:

  1. Wait, so this post could not have come at a better time. I'm re-reading (ok, actually paying attention to) "Skinny Bitch" and decided that at least for March, I'm going to try to be vegetarian and see how I like it. It's pretty encouraging to see you just went cold turkey and have been successfull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck! Let me know if you need any more pointers.. it's not easy, but it's rewarding on a lot of levels. Whatever you do, DO NOT watch PETA's videos. Seriously, it's the stuff that nightmares are made of.

      Delete