Friday, February 10, 2012

meet fido.


Spot. Buddy. Baxter. Fido. Man's best friend. A tail-wagging, smile-inducing, ever-loyal furry companion.
Allow us to introduce our fidos.

Meet Penny
Once upon a time (aka 2005) in the non-Chicago part of Illinois, a tiny little nugget was born to Sadie, a Maltese, and Prince of the Clouds, a Teacup Poodle (whatever you do, do not call her a Maltipoo). She was flown out to Denver and picked up at the airport by the stunningly gorgeous (sshhh, just let me have this one) girl who had purchased her. Unable to fully comprehend just how small this thing was (a gross little 1 lb), said owner refused to hold the puppy at first and made her friend do the dirty work of panicking about potentially breaking one of this bird dog's bird bones. The dog also needed her name to be changed, since it was clear from both the scrappy appearance and personality that she could no longer be known by the originally chosen moniker of Lola. After about half an hour of scouring the internet for ideas, it came to.. Penny? And so it was. Penny is a very loved, very weird five pound girl. She has lived in three different states, a countless number of apartments, made grown men talk in the babiest of baby voices, shopped at Bergdorf's, and even attended class at CU Boulder. She always received an A+ for effort, and truth be told, was far more alert than a large majority of the rest of the class. It was Boulder, need I say more? She now lives in Chicago with a long entryway perfect for playing fetch, enjoys long car rides, walks on the beach (and by walks, I mean sprints), dominating Golden Retrievers, snuggling, watching Bravo programming, and is considering taking her finely-tuned circus/comedy routine on the road. Nicknames include Penelope, Peninsula, Penny Lane, Penoodle, Pennifer, and our personal favorite, Chicken.

Meet Chloe & Sebastian
The tiny pug, commonly known as Wiener (“Winner” if you ask my Papa), was an experiment that began with margaritas at lunch, and ended with a stroll into a completely unfortunate puppy-mill stocked pet shop in Chicago. As soon as we walked in, I knew I would leave calling one of these sweet things my own. Chloe, or Ethel as she was named by the store owner, was a 10 week old runt with four brothers. My girlfriend and I took her home that night, for the “trial run” we had been offered by the pet store. We set-up a sleepover for ourselves, with the tiny monster cuddled between us, tucked in under the covers, finally safe and home. I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating – there were too many animals in this bed! But, as I kicked the sheets around, I realized it wasn’t sweat that was making me uncomfortable. It was Chloe; she had pooped under the covers! In a screaming frenzy, we started kicking everything off the bed, running to rinse the dog, ourselves and any of the bedding we could salvage. I knew if I could love her after that, then my heart had in fact opened and made room for this tiny little pug. Chloe is still the toughest girl around, she’ll go head to head with Mastiffs and Rottweilers alike, she’s a scrappy little know-it-all, with a Napoleon complex to match. Luckily, these days she has her best friend Sebastian around to be her "muscle".

A year and a half before J proposed to me, we brought home a bundle of joy, a little round-bellied white bulldog, who we quickly named Sebastian. Sebastian is a man’s man. He snores. He burps. He farts. All audibly.  But, behind his rough exterior lies the ultimate mama’s boy. This 55-lbs bull has no reason to think that he is not a lap dog. He snuggles up to my cheek, stands up to give me a proper hug, licks away tears, and guards our bedside if either one of us is sick or upset. He would defend Chloe, me and J to the death. He is tough as nails, and loyal to a fault. My little snow bunny loves to plow his face through the fresh snow, he tries to eat snowflakes as they fall, and he trots around  like a polar bear in the cold. Bass collects tennis balls, rawhides, and stuffed animals, and spends his evenings lying by the fire.

Do you have any furry friends at home? Can you imagine your life without them?! We can't.


Want to see more of our fidos? Click Join this Site, and become one of our BIGGEST FANS!

2 comments:

  1. Aww I love hearing more about your little furbabies. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sebastian is like the brock lesner of dogs.

    and your using my photography without explicit persmission.

    site looks awesome! nice work!

    ReplyDelete